Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberlady, Main Street, Parish Church And Graveyard

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Dovecot (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Aberlady, Main Street, Parish Church And Graveyard

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Dovecot (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Colonel G.e Hope Memorial; War Memorial Window; Capt The Hon W Charteris War Memorial Plaque

Canmore ID 54874

Site Number NT47NE 17

NGR NT 46179 79850

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54874

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Aberlady
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT47NE 17 46179 79850

See also NT47NE 1.

(NT 4618 7985) Aberlady Parish Church: A 15th century rubble-built square tower adjoins the W end, with a set-in top storey and a slated pyramidal spire behind a corbelled parapet. The storey above the string course was later adapted as a dovecot, with flight holes in the slit window on the S side. Nothing can be seen of the Georgian church of 1773. On the N side it incorporated two burial aisles of late 16th and early 17th century date. These were duplicated on the S side in 1886 when the body of the church was completely recast by William Young, who also added twin porches to the N and S sides of the tower, and the session houses at the E end. (This church was doubtless originally built as a successor to St Mary's Chapel, which stood at NT 4614 7988 - see NT47NE 1).

C McWilliam 1978; A N Robertson 1952; RCAHMS 1924, visited 1914; D C Bailey and M C Tindall 1963

This church is still in use.

Visited by OS (RDL) 25 October 1962.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCES

Non Guardianship Sites Notes Collection DC/23023 to DC/23024, 1967.

Architect: William Young (reconstruction 1886).

Activities

Photographic Survey (1987)

Recording of gravestones in the churchyard of Aberlady Parish Church by Mrs Betty Willsher in 1987.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions