Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Wemyss Castle

Hospital (First World War), Sundial(S) (Period Unassigned), Tower House (16th Century)

Site Name Wemyss Castle

Classification Hospital (First World War), Sundial(S) (Period Unassigned), Tower House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Wemyss Castle Policies; The Hall Of The Wemyss; Wemyss Castle Auxiliary Hospital

Canmore ID 53957

Site Number NT39NW 14

NGR NT 32930 95150

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53957

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Wemyss
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Kirkcaldy
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT39NW 14.00 3293 9515.

NT39NW 14.01 NT 3276 9526 Farmsteading

NT39NW 14.02 NT 3286 9505 Dovecot

NT39NW 14.03 NT 3293 9515 Stables

NT39NW 14.04 NT 3295 9527 The Red House

NT39NW 14.05 NT 32813 95493 Gardeners Cottage (Number 1 Cottage)

NT39NW 14.06 NT 32845 95529 Number 2 Cottage

NT39NW 14.07 NT 32850 95534 Number 3 Cottage

For East Lodge and gate piers (NT 3323 9633), see NT39NW 17.

(NT 3293 9515) Wemyss Castle (NR)

OS 6" map, (1966)

Wemyss Castle: This castle, known also as 'The Hall of the Wemyss' and as a 'palace', is an extensive but composite mansion. The oldest part, which is the oblong tower forming a re-entrant in the W front, has been greatly altered and may be considered as not later than the end of the 15th century. The original castle probably occupied only the northern part of the site now built upon, and until the 17th century there were no buildings S of the tower. In the early 16th century, the enclosing walls were rebuilt with a salient round tower on the SE, a rounded projection at the E angle, and a vaulted entrance set between the main tower and that on the SE. In the 17th century, an extension was made on the outside southwards from the SE tower. A westward returning wing was added to this in 1670, and in the 19th century the space between this and the main tower was built over.

RCAHMS 1933.

Wemyss Castle is as described above. Permission was not granted to view this mansion closely. Reconstruction work is at present being carried out: the 19th century porch (on the W front) being demolished and the 17th century frontage being exposed. The remainder of the building, as far as can be ascertained, is in very good condition.

The tower in the gardens of the castle is a tall, slender edifice with a crenellated parapet. It would appear to be a dovecot and is still in use as such. It is of rubble construction and apparently quite old.

Visited by OS (J L D) 6 October 1954.

Wemyss Castle is as described.

Visited by OS (J P) 21 June 1974.

Site recorded by Maritime Fife during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, Kincardine to Fife Ness 1996

Architecture Notes

NT39NW 14.00 3293 9515.

NT39NW 14.01 NT 3276 9526 Farmsteading

NT39NW 14.02 NT 3286 9505 Dovecot

NT39NW 14.03 NT 3293 9515 Stables

NT39NW 14.04 NT 3295 9527 The Red House

NT39NW 14.05 NT 32813 95493 Gardeners Cottage (Number 1 Cottage)

NT39NW 14.06 NT 32845 95529 Number 2 Cottage

NT39NW 14.07 NT 32850 95534 Number 3 Cottage

For East Lodge and gate piers (NT 3323 9633), see NT39NW 17.

See also Castle Wemyss Renfrewshire

ARCHITECT: Robert W. Billings c.1850

NMRS Print Room

W Schomberg Scott Photograph Collection Acc no 1997/39

View of sundial

REFERENCE:

Designs (plans) for gothicising castle, 1896 - probably held at Castle Wemyss

Wemyss Castle, Factor's House:

REFERENCE:

PLANS: Dick Peddie and McKay, Edinburgh additions and alterations

Peddie and Kinnear 1873 - 75

Sundials at Wemyss Castle:

A bronze horizontal sundial stored inside the castle was viewed by Dr Andrew Somerville in 1985.

The obelisk sundial that was photographed by Dr Somerville in 1985 at Wemyss Castle was moved back to Invermay during the 1990s. A sundial indicated on the terrace southwest of the castle on the OS provisional edition (1931 - 1969) at NT32909 95088 was probably this obelisk. For its site at Invermay see NO01NE 85.05.

A Cassells, 21 May 2009, updated 02 September 2010.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions