Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.


Old Craighall, Old Craighall Road, Monkton House

Country House (17th Century), Tower House (16th Century)

Site Name Old Craighall, Old Craighall Road, Monkton House

Classification Country House (17th Century), Tower House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Millerhill

Canmore ID 53857

Site Number NT37SW 25

NGR NT 33392 70270

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Inveresk (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT37SW 25.00 33381 70290

(NT 33381 70290) Monkton House (NR)

OS 25" map (1967)

According to the RCAHMS, Monkton House, L-shaped on plan, was built about 1680 in extension of and incorporating the lower part of a 16th century free-standing tower, while the now detached stable building to the NW is the remains of a small L-shaped house of c. 1625, which was originally attached to the old tower by a wing, now missing.

Tranter, however, states that the original tower is of earlier than 16th century origin; it was extended to the S by the addition of a simple rectangular block, probably dating from the mid-16th century. This in turn was further extended to the S; and the W wing added, probably soon after the Reformation. The present stair tower was built, and roofline and Renaissance doorways produced in the late 17th century. He also dates the stable building to the 16th century.

The main house is three storeys high. At one time it was neglected, but it has been restored and is again inhabited.

Monkton was a property of (the Cistercian) Newbattle Abbey, probably a grange, which no doubt accounts for the unusual mullioned windows of the stable block. The Hays of Yester acquired the estate after the Reformation; it later passed to the Falconers and then to the Hopes of Pinkie.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1921; N Tranter 1962

Monkton House (name confirmed) and the outbuilding at NT 3338 7029 are relatively unimportant.

Visited by OS (JLD) 9 December 1953

OS (JLD) confirmed.

Visited by OS (BS) 15 August 1975

NT 335 704 An evaluation was carried out prior to a housing development in an area formerly occupied by the walled garden of 17th-century Monkton House (NT37SW 25) and developed by the 19th century. No features relating to the former walled garden or 19th-century buildings were identified, and there was evidence of possible terracing and sand extraction across the site. No pre-19th-century finds were recovered. The evaluation also included the recording of part of the listed boundary wall and a small stone outbuilding, which may be 18th century.

Report lodged with East Lothian SMR and the NMRS.

Sponsor: Hart (Estates) Ltd.

R Coleman 2004

Architecture Notes

NT37SW 25.00 33392 70270

NT37SW 25.01 33401 70412 Gardener's House with Sundial (Monkton Gardens)

NT37SW 25.02 33379 70287 Stable and Sundial


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions