Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Prestonpans, Preston Grange

Clubhouse (19-20th Century)

Site Name Prestonpans, Preston Grange

Classification Clubhouse (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Prestongrange House; Royal Musselburgh Golf Club

Canmore ID 53660

Site Number NT37SE 2

NGR NT 37877 73708

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53660

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Prestonpans
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT37SE 2.00 37877 73708.

(NT 3788 7370) Preston Grange (NAT) (club house)

OS 1:10000 map (1973)

Prestongrange (now the club house of the Royal Musselburgh Golf Club) is a long baronial house, its entrance front - facing N - virtually all by W H Playfair. The W half of the S front is earlier. The earliest datable part is its late 16th century centre, extended to the E in the 17th century. This house was recast internally about 1750. The first stage of Playfair's work, begun in 1830, consists of a three-storeyed block to the S, with an octagonal entrance tower, and some development to the E end. In 1850 he added a square tower to the E. During internal alterations in 1962, a large painted ceiling dated 1581 was discovered; the greater part of it has now been placed in Merchiston Tower (NT27SW 13).

C McWilliam 1978; G Murray, M R Apted and I Hodkinson 1966

This building has no external appearance of antiquity.

Visited by OS (SFS) 26 August 1975

The house and policies are visible on a vertical air photograph (OS 89/015/28, flown 1989).

Information from RCAHMS

Architecture Notes

NT37SE 2.00 NT 37877 73708

NT37SE 2.01 NT 38111 73815 Boundary walls

NT37SE 2.02 NT 38066 73881 East Lodge

NT37SE 2.03 NT 37710 73923 North Lodge

NT37SE 2.04 NT 37946 73413 South Lodge and Gate Arch

Painted ceiling removed to Napier Technical College, Edinburgh (formerly Merchiston Castle)

ARCHITECT: W. H. Playfair, 1830 - Scottish Baronial - and 1850

REFERENCE:

EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY LIBRARY

Playfair Collection: 1830 - 70 sheets (P. 19)

Lodge,1837 - 27 sheets (P. 19)

Stable Offices, 1845 - 40 sheets (P. 19)

additions, 1850 - 88 sheets (P. 19)

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28445, 1963.

Activities

Field Visit (26 August 1975)

This building has no external appearance of antiquity.

Visited by OS (SFS) 26 August 1975

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions