Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Catcune Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Catcune Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 53540

Site Number NT36SE 12

NGR NT 3509 6040

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53540

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Borthwick
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36SE 12 3509 6040

The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey (ONB) describes 'Catcune Castle (ruins of)' as 'This name applies to the ruins of an ancient building or Castle situated on the Estate of Goreburn a short distance E of Harvieston. It is not known in the locality when or by whom if was founded' (Name Book 1852).

The New Statistical Account (NSA) notes that 'There is the ruins of a very ancient castle on the estate of Harvieston which are traditionally assigned as the seat of the family before it became possessed of the domain of Locherwest to which it aftertwards took the name of Borthwick. These ruins go by the name of the Old Castle of Catcune, and it is certain that the family were promiscuously designed by the titles Catcune, Legertwood and Heriotmuir before they assumed the title of Borthwick of that ilk'.

Name Book 1852; New Statistical Account 1845

(NT 3509 6040) Catcune Castle (NR) (Ruins of)

OS 6" map (1908)

Catcune Castle, now very ruinous, has been L-shaped on plan, a main block, 44' x 25', running N-S with a wing, 22' x 20', projecting W in line with the N gable. Three vaulted cellars can be traced on the ground floor.

The castle stands on a rock outcrop, and a depression to the W is probably caused by quarrying as recent trenching shows that a bed of coarse freestone, similar to that used in building the castle, underlies the area. The lands of Catcune are mentioned in 1527 and 1652.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1915

Catcune Castle has been removed down to the rock outcrop on which it was built. A few stones remain on the site; only one showed signs of working.

Visited by OS (JFC) 14 September 1954

Catcune Castle (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map (1966)

There is no trace of this castle in a pasture field.

Visited by OS (BS) 27 October 1975

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions