Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Preston Hall

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Preston Hall

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Prestonhall; Preston Hall Policies

Canmore ID 53386

Site Number NT36NE 61

NGR NT 39431 65760

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53386

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Cranston
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT36NE 61.00 39431 65760

NT36NE 61.01 39503 66419 The Temple

NT36NE 61.02 39628 65930 Stables, Northern Block

NT36NE 61.03 39242 65952 Walled garden

NT36NE 61.04 39252 65209 Lion's Gate

NT36NE 61.05 39248 65997 Gardener's Cottage

NT36NE 61.06 39249 65981 E Gazebo

NT36NE 61.07 39237 65980 W Gazebo

NT36NE 61.08 39243 65930 Sundial

NT36NE 61.09 39611 65903 Stables, Southern Block and Pheasantry

NT36NE 61.10 39658 65896 Stables, Outbuilding and Piggery

NT36NE 61.11 39643 65902 Stables, Piggery Lean-to

NT36NE 61.12 39660 65913 Stables, Cottages

NT36NE 61.13 39654 65934 Stables, Kennels

NT36NE 41 39065 65875 Ice-house

NT46NW 126 40277 67156 North Gate

NT46NW 158 40055 65927 Keeper's Lodge

Begun 1791, architect Robert Mitchell.

C McWilliam 1978.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Major W. H. Callander

Architect: Robert Mitchell c.1794. also architect of the stables

David Bryce porch c.1850

See 'Edinburgh Magazine' March 1800

Print and description

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Edinburgh University Library, "Views & Perspectives of houses in England and Scotland" by Robert Mitchell. 1801 - plans and elevations & 3 coloured engravings.

Preston Hall - Coade stone

As well as the four figures (one marked coade 1794) in the hall (Erechtheion - type caryatid, Vestal Virgin and 2 others to be researched) and the Florentine Lions at the gate, (all in Pevsner Lothians) there are 4 ionic pilaster capitals and a coat of arms on the main front (now the back) and decorations of a mask and draperies on aediacles on single storey wings.

Information from Miss Alison Kelly, 1983

Activities

Photographic Survey (1955)

Photographs of Preston Hall, Midlothian, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1955

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions