Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Elphinstone Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Elphinstone Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Elphinstone Castle

Canmore ID 53340

Site Number NT36NE 2

NGR NT 3903 6980

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53340

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Tranent
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36NE 2 3903 6980.

(NT 3903 6980) Elphinstone Tower (NR)

OS 6" map (1968)

Elphinstone Tower is a 15th century rectangular tower of three main storeys beneath the wall-head, which terminates in a 16th century parapet walk, while the roof is modern. It measures 50 1/2' E-W by 35', with 8' thick walls, and is 57' from ground to parapet. It is unusual for the large number of mural chambers, passages and stairways which honeycomb its walls. Having been long occupied, the tower is not in a good condition, and it is being affected by mining subsidence.

The lands of Elphinstone were held by the family which took their name from the 13th century onwards, and presumably some portion of their fortalice is incorporated in the present tower. In the 15th century the heiress of the main line married Sir Gilbert Johnstone, who completed the building as it now stands.

RCAHMS 1924, visited 1915; N Tranter 1962

Elphinstone Tower has been partially demolished. The N wall, with one doorway intact, remains to a height of 4.0m while the S wall has completely disappeared.

Visited by OS (BS) 22 October 1975.

Elphinstone Tower was damaged by subsidence and finally demolished in 1955.

C McWilliam 1978.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

15th century. Oblong plan. Numerous mural chambers. Unoccupied - in bad repair.

Demolished 1955.

Activities

Partial Demolition (1955)

Elphinstone Tower was damaged by subsidence and finally demolished in 1955.

C McWilliam 1978.

Photographic Survey (August 1962)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Works in August 1962.

Photographic Survey (June 1963)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Works in June 1963.

Field Visit (22 October 1975)

Elphinstone Tower has been partially demolished. The N wall, with one doorway intact, remains to a height of 4.0m while the S wall has completely disappeared.

Visited by OS (BS) 22 October 1975.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions