Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Yarrow Parish Church

Church (17th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Yarrow Parish Church

Classification Church (17th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Deuchar; Yarrow Kirk; War Memorial Comunion Table

Canmore ID 53068

Site Number NT32NE 9

NGR NT 35758 27776

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53068

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Yarrow
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT32NE 9 35758 27776

NT32NE 9.01 35764 27755 Churchyard

(NT 35762777) Church (NAT)

OS 6" map (1900)

NMRS REFERENCE

Yarrow Church. It was only in 1640 that a church was built on this site, at Deuchar (OSA 1793), to replace the parish church of St. Mary of the Lowes (RCAHMS 1957, No.9), by that time standing dilapidated in a remote and inconvenient situation near Kirkstead, overlooking St. Mary's Loch. In 1771 this new church was almost wholly rebuilt and in 1826 it was altered; half a century later it was again renovated. Further reconstruction in 1906 altered the original plan; the oblong church with a central cross-aisle now becoming a cruciform one, apsidal-ended towards the S. In 1922 this building was burnt down, only the bare walls being left. By the following year these surviving elements had been repaired and the fabric restored as a whole. (R S Kirkpatrick 1932)

The only features of antiquarian interest left are the bell, a sundial and the two S. doorways. Neither of the two doorways, which are

situated one at each end of the S. wall, is in its original position. Their margins are moulded with a roll, quirk and hollow, and their heads, which are semi-circular, have been raised.

TOMBSTONES. In the churchyard two 17th-century tombstones are to be seen: (1) A table-stone near the SE. door (2) A second table-stone, near the last.

RCAHMS 1957, visited 1934

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

ORDNANCE SURVEY

The church, in use as a place of worship, is as described by RCAHMS.

The sundial mentioned by that authority bears the date 1640 and is built into the SW corner of the church.

Visited by OS (EGC) 4 June 1962

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions