Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

East Buccleuch

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name East Buccleuch

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Buccleuch Castle

Canmore ID 53053

Site Number NT31SW 9

NGR NT 3281 1425

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53053

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Ettrick
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Activities

Field Visit (11 July 1962)

NT 3273 1427 As described by previous authorities.

Visited by OS (WDJ), 11 July 1962.

Desk Based Assessment (1962)

NT31SW 9 3281 1425

(Name centred: NT 32811425). Buccleuch Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1900)

The foundation walls of the castle were discovered when the farm-house of East Buccleuch was built in 1832. No trace now remains.

Name Book 1858

"The site of the former Manor-house of Rankilburn or Buccleuch is very appropriate for a residence. The old mansion stood on a rising ground at the junction of the Rankilburn and the Buccleuch burn. To the north and south of the site, on either side of the burn, are haughs or level grounds for meadow hay. These are surrounded on every side by high sloping green hills. Part of the present farm-house of Easter Buccleuch, which was built about the year 1832, and particularly the west end, stands on the site of the foundations of the old mansion. These foundations were extensive and were trenched out to enlarge the garden in front of the present farm-house of Easter Buccleuch." p. xlv

"BUCCLEUCH, IN RANKILBURN AND FOREST OF ETTRICK

The manor-house of Buccleuch, which was situated on a rising ground at the junction of the Buccleuch and Rankil burns, has already been described. Like other Border mansions, it did not escape the ravages incident to Border warfare. In the year 1494 it suffered considerable damage from a raid by Simon Routledge in the Trowis and Matthew his son and their accomplices, who, after removing the cattle, horses and sheep, plundered the mansion and set it on fire. in the judicial proceedings against the invaders, it is called the place and manor of Bukcleuch.

p.62 "At the date of these proceedings in 1494, the manor-place of Buccleuch was occupied by the Knight of Buccleuch. It continued to be one of the principal residences of the family for many years afterwards. But their removal from Murthockston to Branxholm gradually superseded the mansion of Buccleuch as the principal Border residence of the family" p.liv

The Scotts of Buccleuch, William Fraser, 1878.

Buccleuch Castle (Site). The farmhouse of East Buccleuch stands on the site of the manor-place of Buccleuch, which was burnt by Hertford in 1544 [this probably a misreading of the source as Branxholme, Buccleuch's manor, was attacked]. The only remaining relic of this building is a loose door-rybat of freestone, presumably of the 16th century, which is rebated for an outer and an inner door. The farmhouse has the date 1832 carved above the entrance, and above it the crescent moon of the Scotts of Buccleuch.

RCAHMS 1957.

Information from Ordnance Survey Index Card.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions