Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Slateford Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Slateford Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Water Of Leith; Inglis Green Road; Lanark Road

Canmore ID 52571

Site Number NT27SW 100

NGR NT 21999 70772

NGR Description NT 21930 70714 to NT 22063 70825

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SW 100 21930 70714 to 22063 70825

For adjacent and parallel canal aqueduct, see NT27SW 97.

This viaduct carries the twin-track line of the former Caledonian Rly from Edinburgh (formerly Princes Street Station) - Carstairs (via Cobbinshaw summit) over both the Water of Leith and Inglis Green Road. This line remains in regular use by passenger traffic, and was electrified in about 1988.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 25 February 2000.


Construction (1848)

Designed by Locke and Errington. Still in use (2010)

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

The Caledonian Railway’s main line into Edinburgh, terminating at the east end of Princes Street in 1848, was closed in the 1960s and redeveloped as the West Approach Road in 1972, which conserved some of the company’s other historic retaining walls and bridges, for example, the fine viaduct at Slateford with its 14 masonry arches of 30 ft span designed by Locke & Errington and completed in 1848 is still operational.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions