Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith Wynd, Lady Glenorchy's Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith Wynd, Lady Glenorchy's Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 52481

Site Number NT27SE 431

NGR NT 2596 7396

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52481

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 431 2597 7392

Name: NT 2597 7392. Site of Lady Glenorchy's Church (1772) (NAT)

OS 1:1056 map, 1854.

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 431 2597 7392

Name: NT 2597 7392. Site of Lady Glenorchy's Church (1772) (NAT)

OS 1:1056 map, 1854.

See also NT27SE 522 26069 74377 Lady Glenorchy's Free Church

The original chapel was built on a piece of ground feued from the Orphans' Hospital by Lady Glenorchy in 1772 and was opened in May 1774.

Lady Glenorchy's Chapel, begun in 1772, stood in the low ground, between the Orphan Hospital (NT27SE 137) and Trinity College Church (NT27SE 37) about 300ft E of the N arch of the North Bridge. It was a plain, lofty stone building, seating 2,000 persons. The chapel was opened for use in May 1774, and was demolished in 1845.

H Arnot 1788; J Grant 1882.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions