Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Architecture Notes

Event ID 734828

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/734828

NT27SE 431 2597 7392

Name: NT 2597 7392. Site of Lady Glenorchy's Church (1772) (NAT)

OS 1:1056 map, 1854.

See also NT27SE 522 26069 74377 Lady Glenorchy's Free Church

The original chapel was built on a piece of ground feued from the Orphans' Hospital by Lady Glenorchy in 1772 and was opened in May 1774.

Lady Glenorchy's Chapel, begun in 1772, stood in the low ground, between the Orphan Hospital (NT27SE 137) and Trinity College Church (NT27SE 37) about 300ft E of the N arch of the North Bridge. It was a plain, lofty stone building, seating 2,000 persons. The chapel was opened for use in May 1774, and was demolished in 1845.

H Arnot 1788; J Grant 1882.

People and Organisations

References