Edinburgh, 23 - 23a St Andrew Square, Exchange Bank Of Scotland
House (18th Century), Office(S) (20th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)
Site Name Edinburgh, 23 - 23a St Andrew Square, Exchange Bank Of Scotland
Classification House (18th Century), Office(S) (20th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Faculty Of Actuaries In Scotland; War Memorial Plaque
Canmore ID 52418
Site Number NT27SE 373
NGR NT 25555 74185
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52418
First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.
- Council Edinburgh, City Of
- Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District City Of Edinburgh
- Former County Midlothian
NT27SE 373.00 25555 74185
NT27SE 373.01 25550 74200 Free Tolbooth Church
The free Tolbooth Church (Architect: David Bryce 1858) burnt out susequent to 1891, rebuilt by Bank Exchange, later Faculty of Actuaries, and apparantly incorporated into bank structure. LBLP 05/2004 GJK
Architect - William Chambers
Alterations to No.23 - David Bryce - 1846
Alterations to No.23 - Kinnear & Peddie - 1883
Photographic Survey (October 1965)
Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Work in October 1965.
Project (1997)
The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.
The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.
Field Visit (24 April 2002)
A cartouche in the pediment of the porch, carved with a cherub holding an upturned cornucopia.
Inscriptions : None
Signatures : None
Design period : 1770-1772 (original building) / 1846 (alterations)
Year of unveiling : 1846
Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1374)
