Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Candlemaker Row, Greyfriars Church

Church (17th Century), Graffiti(S) (19-20th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Candlemaker Row, Greyfriars Church

Classification Church (17th Century), Graffiti(S) (19-20th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Greyfriars Place; Greyfriars Tolbooth And Highland Kirk; War Memorial; Greyfriars Parishioners War Memorial Plaque; Burma Star Association

Canmore ID 52397

Site Number NT27SE 354

NGR NT 25640 73259

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52397

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 354.00 25640 73259

NT27SE 354.01 25609 73306 Churchyard

NT27SE 354.02 2564 7333 George Buchanan's Monument

NT27SE 354.03 25635 73164 Covenanter's Prison and Churchyard Extension

NT27SE 354.04 25679 73276 Lodge and Gate Piers

NT27SE 354.05 25546 73276 Churchyard Extension

ARCHITECTS: William Burn 1845

James Smith 1843 (building collapsed while under construction?)

David Bryce (repaired & refurnished New Greyfriars)

David Cousin 1857 (restoration of Old Greyfriars)

Reginald Fairlie 1928 (memorial to Major A Stirling of Keir)

REFERENCE: NATIONAL LIBRARY OF SCOTLAND

Watercolour sketches by Thomas Brown Vol 1: Nos 8, 12, 13 and 50; Vol 2: Nos 9, 70, 72, 73, 75 and 76

Romantic Edinburgh -pamphlet by Lewis Soence (Spence?)

Country Life, December 7th, 1945 -article and photographs

REFERENCE: SOANE MUSEUM

Volume LV -View of William Adam's Tomb, by William Adam (Microfilm in NMRS)

Non-Guardianship Sites Plam Collection, DC23860.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Field Visit (9 July 2016)

The letters A and G, with serifs, have been carved on to the easternmost buttress on the S side of Greyfriars Church.

Visited by HES Survey and Recording (AGCH) 9 July 2016

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions