Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Holyrood Palace, Holyrood Abbey, Abbey Pend

Gateway (16th Century), Pend (16th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Holyrood Palace, Holyrood Abbey, Abbey Pend

Classification Gateway (16th Century), Pend (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Abbey Strand; Palace Of Holyrood; Palace Of Holyroodhouse; Old Gatehouse

Canmore ID 52391

Site Number NT27SE 35.08

NGR NT 26811 73925

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52391

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 35.08 26811 73925

(NT 2681 7393) Abbey Pend (NR) (Site of).

OS 1:1250 map, (1946).

Gatehouse:- Remains of- Built in 1502 and demolished in 1753. Only part of the S side was left standing and has been incorporated in the modern Abbey Court-house which now covers part of the site. It was extended between 1647 and 1663.

The remains consist of 16/17th century work...(RCAHMS 1951).

Visited by OS (JLD) 24 October 1953.

Site of Abbey Pend (or Port - gate). Was a Gothic porch, erected in 1502 and destroyed in 1753.

Visited by OS (JLD) 29 December 1953.

Old wall on north side of Abbey Court-house may be remnant of Gate house or Pend as stated by OS field surveyor (JLD): but this was not ascertained.

Visited by OS (JLD) 31 December 1953.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (16 October 2002)

Rectangular panel (portrait format) set into wall. The panel is decorated with the arms of James V in high relief: a unicorn, holding the saltire (over the centre of which is a crown). In front of the unicorn is an escutcheon bearing a lion rampant. To either side and below are thistles.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : At bottom of panel (in painted gold raised letters): I R 5

On metal plaque below panel (in incised letters): THIS HERALDIC PANEL WAS ORIGINALLY OVER THE ENTRANCE / OF THE GATEHOUSE WHICH STOOD HERE. IT BEARS THE / ROYAL ARMS AND IR5 FOR KING JAMES THE FIFTH

Signatures : None

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0720)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions