Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Edinburgh, 167 - 169 Canongate

Public House (19th Century), Tenement (17th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 167 - 169 Canongate

Classification Public House (19th Century), Tenement (17th Century)

Canmore ID 52357

Site Number NT27SE 329

NGR NT 26403 73788

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52357

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 329 26400 73795

A rubble-built tenement of three storeys and an attic, built pre-1647. Restored. Ground floor public house.

RCAHMS 1951.

Activities

Publication Account (1951)

106. 167-169 Canongate.

The rubble-built tenement of three storeys and an attic that abuts on the W. side of the Tolbooth has an interesting front, of 17th-century date, which seems to be recognisable in Gordon's sketch of 1647. On plan the building is L-shaped, the main block running E. and W., and the wing, which contains the newel stair, encroaching upon the pavement at the W. end. The two lower floors have been altered and provided with a modern wooden shop-front. The floor above has two windows, probably original, with rounded arrises, as well as a third and smaller window which seems to have been struck out at a later time. The attic floor is lit by two dormers with triangular pediments, the apex finials taking the shapes respectively of a crescent and a thistle. From the beginning each floor has been a separate flat. The main block is divided longitudinally by a stone partition, and today the inner division is subdivided into two rooms. Apart from a plain 17th century fireplace on the top floor, the interior is quite commonplace.

RCAHMS 1951

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions