Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Cowgate, St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church

Church (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Cowgate, St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church

Classification Church (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 40 High Street; Cowgate Episcopal Chapel; South Gray's Close

Canmore ID 52321

Site Number NT27SE 297

NGR NT 26123 73610

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52321

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 297.00 26123 73610

NT27SE 297.01 2611 7362 Manse

NT27SE 297.02 2610 7362 Garden; Trial Excavation

Built in 1772-4 as a 'qualified' Episcopal chapel; John Baxter Jr was the architect, William Wright the contractor. As first built, it was a large two-storey rectangle with a semi-octagonal apse and a tower with a domed belfry. The church was bought by the Roman Catholics in 1856. Pedimented W porch added in 1890, when the flanking ground floor windows were deepened. In 1898 the interior was realigned and a new sanctuary built to the N by J Graham Fairley. Front rebuilt by Reginald Fairlie in 1929. Flanking chapels of 1924-5; mortuary chapel at SE by Alexander McWilliam, 1921.

RCAHMS 1951; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984.

NT 2612 7361 St Patrick's, built in the 18th century, originally consisted of the current central area orientated E-W with the altar at the E end. Subsequent work saw extensions to the N and S, with the relocation of the main altar in the N extension. The chapel investigated was constructed to the NW of the original St Patrick's in the early 19th century. The area investigated in September 2003, c 3 x 1.5m, was intended to be 1.4m deep, but a wall and cobbled surface were discovered at a depth of approximately 0.5m.

No features or finds of significance were discovered, other than infilling and levelling deposits related to the 19th-century extension of St Patrick's chapel.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: HS

G Ewart 2003

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 297.00 26123 73610

ARCHITECT: R Rowand Anderson 1870

Reginald Fairlie 1928 -facade and forecourt

James Graham Fairley 1899 -new Chancel

Altar piece painted by A. Runciman

See Historical File (1.12)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions