Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Cowgate, Holyrood Chapel

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (16th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Cowgate, Holyrood Chapel

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (16th Century)

Canmore ID 52189

Site Number NT27SE 17

NGR NT 2571 7349

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52189

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 17 2571 7348.

(NT 2571 7348) Holyrood Chapel (NR) (Site of)

OS 1/500 plan (1895)

The Chapel of the Holy Rood, which was founded in 1528, stood in the lower part of St Giles' Churchyard, near the Parliament (or Back) stairs. It was destroyed during the Reformation, its materials being used for building the Tolbooth in 1562. In 1844, a number of oak coffins, straight at the sides but with their lids rising to a ridge in the centre, were found close together, and containing human remains, near the chapel site, on the sloping ground south of Parliament House.

R Richardson 1910; D Wilson 1878; T Ross, G B Brown and W F Gray 1922.

No further information.

Visited by OS (J D) 25 December 1953.

INVENTORY OF GRAVEYARD AND CEMETERY SITES IN SCOTLAND REFERENCE:

Address: Holyrood Chapel Burial Ground, Cowgate, Edinburgh

Postcode: N/a

Status: No longer extant

Size: N/a

TOIDs:

Number of gravestones: Not known

Earliest gravestone: Not known

Most recent gravestone: Not known

Description: Burial ground associated with a church, no longer extant

Data Sources: OS MasterMap checked 20 September 2005

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions