Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Grassmarket, West Port

Gateway (15th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Grassmarket, West Port

Classification Gateway (15th Century)

Alternative Name(s) West Bow Port; Portsburgh

Canmore ID 52146

Site Number NT27SE 14.01

NGR NT 2530 7330

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 14.1 2530 7330

West Port succeeded the earlier West Bow Port (West Bow: NT 254 734) and was in existence by 1437. It stood, on the line of the later Flodden Wall, at the W end of the Grassmarket and opened roads to Queensferry and Glasgow. Stark (1806) notes that although the Port had been removed, the wall still remained on both sides.

J Stark 1806; A T Simpson, S Stevenson and N Holmes 1981.

No trace.

Visited by OS (JLD) 29 December 1953.

Wester Portsburgh was outside the West Port

Portsburgh Street - unlocated at time of upgrade, 3.2.2000

Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1812. January-June. 20.2.1812

Pet. George Tweedale, mason and Allan Boak, tanner.

To demolish and rebuild.

Plan and elevation. unsigned. 3 floors.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions