Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh Castle, Crane Cradle

Platform (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh Castle, Crane Cradle

Classification Platform (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Crane Bastion; Wallace's Cradle

Canmore ID 52073

Site Number NT27SE 1.13

NGR NT 25074 73582

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 1.13 25074 73582

Well-House Cradle (NR) (Ruins of).

OS 1/1250 plan, (1947).

Name changed from Wallace's Cradle. (Ruins of)

Information from OS recorder (AL) 14 December 1950.

A platform, half-way up a fissure in the rock, immediately above the Well-House Tower (Midlothian 3 NE 1.12) which is known as the Crane Bastion, or popularly as Wallace's Cradle (RCAHMS 1951). On this

bastion stood the crane used in bringing up the water from the Well-house...(J S Richardson and M Wood 1948).

Visited by OS(JLD) 23 October 1953.

(NT 2508 7359) Well as described above

Visited by OS(JLD) 29 December 1953.

Crane Cradle (NR).

Information from OS recorder (DT) 16 June 1955.

A platform c 3-5m x 2.0m constructed of rubble masonry situated c 15.0m up on the steep N face of Edinburgh Castle rock.

Visited by OS(SFS) 10 November 1975.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions