Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St David's

Castle (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name St David's

Classification Castle (Medieval)(Possible)

Canmore ID 50952

Site Number NT18SW 32

NGR NT 1478 8247

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50952

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dalgety
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18SW 32 1478 8247.

(NT 1478 8247) A castle is shown at St David's on Ainslie's 'Map of Fife' (1775). Fordell Castle Inn (OS 6" map 1854), now Fordell Arms

(OS 6" map 1928) is apparently on the site.

Stephen makes a general reference to the site of St David's, which takes its designation from a rock in the vicinity formerly called 'St David's Castle'. Chalmers refers to St David's Castle in a description of the creeks on the north side of the Forth.

W Stephen 1921; G Chalmers 1889

There are no structural remains of a castle to be seen at the point indicated by Ainslie; the Fordell Arms together with the remainder of the hamlet of St David's, are now deserted and derelict, the whole now incorporated in a shipbreaker's yard.

Visited by OS (AC) 11 March 1959

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions