Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirknewton House

Country House (17th Century)

Site Name Kirknewton House

Classification Country House (17th Century)

Canmore ID 50351

Site Number NT16NW 39

NGR NT 11533 66473

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50351

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Kirknewton (West Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Kirknewton House, from 17th century

T-plan mansion, incorporating the surviving wing of a tall Georgian house. Stripped down to rubble with Scots baronial additions, c.1835, by Playfair for Lord Meadowbank (when he was creating Bonaly Tower for Lord Cockburn, and baronialising Craigcrook for Lord Jeffrey). Good balustraded screen wall to offices to the north. The lodge (now Huntingtower Inn), probably also by Playfair, takes the form of a square tower with square ashlar turrets, tall dormer-windowed gallery-wing adjacent.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NT16NW 39.00 11533 66473 Kirknewton House

NT16NW 39.01 11322 66806 Gate lodge

NT16NW 39.02 11325 66820 Gate lodge, Hunting Tower Inn

Architect: W.H. Playfair 1835

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Edinburgh University Library

Playfair College - 1835 - 18 Sheets (p.24)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions