Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Malleny House

Country House (17th Century)

Site Name Malleny House

Classification Country House (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Wester Lymphoy

Canmore ID 50278

Site Number NT16NE 21

NGR NT 16485 66552

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50278

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Currie
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT16NE 21.00 16485 66552

NT16NE 21.01 16502 66527 Dovecot

NT16NE 21.02 16599 66718 Scott Burial Vault

NT16NE 21.03 16493 66597 Walled Garden with Bothy and Sundial

NT16NE 21.04 16581 66578 Green Cottage

NT16NE 21.05 16466 66673 Gate-Piers

NT16NE 21.06 16579 66593 Blue Cottage

NT16NE 21.07 16593 66582 Stables

NT16NE 21.08 16432 66664 Bridge

NT16NE 159 16299 66655 Malleny Lodge

(NT 16485 66552) Malleny House, (noted as property of the National Trust for Scotland on OS 25" 1972) was built c.1635, incorporating earlier work. It is 2 1/2 storeys high, with harled walls and crow-stepped gables, 4-bay E side with old entrance, over which there is a heraldic panel. On the W side is a circular turnpike stair tower and massive chimney-stack. There are several single storey additions. The interior, which is not vaulted, has been greatly altered.

SDD List 1964

No change to previous information.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 19 August 1965 and (BS) 23 December 1975

REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office:

Repairs to Malleny House.

They include work on the roof, coachouse and offices.

1785 GD 41/95/15

Langwell Papers

Early photograph GD/1509/55

Activities

Watching Brief (21 November 2011 - 22 November 2011)

NT 16470 66541 A watching brief was carried out 21–22 November 2011 during the excavation of an electrical cable trench. The trench was c0.5m wide and 0.6m deep, located 2.7m to the SE of Malleny House and ran for 14.5m through the western most boundary wall of the property, to the NW of the Bavelaw Burn. The excavation ran NE–SW, parallel to the longest axis of Malleny House and uncovered the foundations of a large stone and mortar wall. Where this wall has not been previously demolished is has been incorporated for a short distance into the existing boundary, but is easily distinguishable as it is considerably thicker and stands out as an obvious dogleg in the boundary orientation. It is not known if this wall represents an earlier boundary or an earlier exterior wall of Malleny House.

Archive: The National Trust for Scotland and RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: The National Trust for Scotland

The National Trust for Scotland 2011

Reference (February 2013 - February 2013)

Malleny House dates from c.1635 and was built for Sir James Murray I of Kilbaberton. The House consists of a single range with two storeys and dormered attic with grey harled walls and crow-stepped gables. It has a 4-bay east wing with an old entrance, over which there is a heraldic panel. On the west side there is a circular turnpike stair tower and a chimney stack that possibly dates from 1589. There are several single storey additions including a castellated service wing to the south.

On the inside the chimney connects to a very wide kitchen fireplace of the late 16th century or early 17th century with an armorial panel on the lintel, dated 1589. The ground floor is not vaulted. An extension of one storey which is known as the Georgian Wing, was added ca. 1820 for General Thomas Scott. This Wing has a bow to the east into which the drawing room fits a half-dome, then a transverse dome on pendentives and a segmental vault; and in the opposite bow to the west is the dining room. The old house is linked to the extension by a fanlit front door opening onto a vestibule.

Information from NTS

Trial Trench (9 August 2014)

NT 16500 66700; This report presents the results of an archaeological evaluation undertaken by AOC Archaeology Group on behalf of Currie Rugby Football Club, on the site of a new training pitch on ground at Malleny Park, Balerno. The archaeological evaluation consisted of the machine trenching of 800 m². A total of 1020 m2 was originally required. However, the presence of live services curtailed the area available for evaluation. In total four trenches were opened over the area of the proposed pitch. The area had been heavily truncated during the construction of the current playing fields with modern drains spaced at regular one metre intervals. Neither significant archaeological features nor artefacts were encountered.

Information from Rob Engl (AOC Archaeology) 11 August 2014

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions