- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Newlands
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Tweeddale
- Former County Peebles-shire
Photographic Record (1896)
Photograph album with views from the Scottish Borders in 1896 including Peebles
Desk Based Assessment (1962)
NS14SE 12 16199 43480.
(NT 1620 4348) Drochil Castle (NR)
OS 6" map (1963)
Drochil Castle, built about 1578, is Z-shaped on plan, comprising a rectangular main block, measuring about 84' by 69'3" over thick walls, with circular towers about 26' in diameter attached to the NE and SW angles. After it had gone out of use as a residence, it was used for storage, and is still used for penning sheep. Considerable quantities of stones have been taken from the castle since the beginning of the 19th century.
RCAHMS 1967, visited 1962
Information from Ordnance Survey Index Card.
Field Visit (24 May 1971)
The remains of Drochil Castle are as described by RCAHMS.
Visited by OS (DWR) 24 May 1971.
External Reference (8 September 2003)
Scheduled as 'Drochil Castle... a large-scale fortified residence, with two parallel ranges of rooms set on each side of a broad central gallery to each floor, and with round towers at the diagonally-opposite north-east and south-west corners.'
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 8 September 2003.
Note (2 November 2015)
This monument was delisted and was removed from the list of buildings of special architectural or historic interest.
The structure is still designated as a scheduled monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.
Information from Historic Environment Scotland, 2 November 2015
Visibility: Visibility: Upstanding building, which may not be intact.
Information from Scottish Borders Council