Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glenachan Rig

Palisaded Settlement (Prehistoric), Roundhouse(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Glenachan Rig

Classification Palisaded Settlement (Prehistoric), Roundhouse(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Glenholm

Canmore ID 49932

Site Number NT13SW 4

NGR NT 1066 3278

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49932

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT13SW 4 1066 3278.

(NT 1066 3278) Homestead (NR)

OS 6" map, (1967)

This homestead is situated immediately NW of the summit of Glenachan Rig. It was excavated by the Commission in 1959.

The homestead measures 108' by 84' within a palisade now represented by a trench which was found to be 2' deep. A short sector of the palisade on the W side of the enclosure had been replaced, probably after the original had perished. The entrance, on the E, consisted of a gap 9' wide, on either side of which the terminals of the palisade turned inwards. The ground immediately inside the entrance was deeply hollowed by traffic, a fact which, when taken in conjunction with the evidence of the reconstruction of the palisade, indicates that the occupation of the homested was note purely transitory.

The interior contained two timber houses, traces of which can still be seen on the surface of the ground in the form of shallow penannular ditches measuring 28' in internal diameter. Excavation of the northernmost house showed that, inside the ditch and concentric with it there was a ring of 10 post holes; there was also a central post-hole, with another close beside it. The entrance was on the NW, the gap in the ditch being matched by a gap 8' wide between two of the post-holes. An elongated fire-pit lay SE of the centre of the floor, and four other post-holes occurred in the SW quadrant.

A third house, similar in surface appearance to the others, lies 40 yds N of the homestead.

The finds from the excavation - a flint flake and two pebbles, their ends worn into facets by grinding, were donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) in 1962.

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1959; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1965 (Donations).

As described.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (IA) 28 August 1972.

This site was ploughed over in May 1979, but although damaged, the palisade trench can still be traced.

Information from SDD (Ancient Monuments) 15 April 1981.

The site and surrounding area is visible on vertical air photographs (OS 71/396/141, flown 1971).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM) April 1992.

Activities

Reference (1957)

This site is noted in the ‘List of monuments discovered during the survey of marginal land (1951-5)’ (RCAHMS 1957, xiv-xviii).

Information from RCAHMS (GFG), 24 October 2012.

Excavation (1959)

This homestead is situated immediately NW of the summit of Glenachan Rig. It was excavated by the Commission in 1959.

The homestead measures 108' by 84' within a palisade now represented by a trench which was found to be 2' deep. A short sector of the palisade on the W side of the enclosure had been replaced, probably after the original had perished. The entrance, on the E, consisted of a gap 9' wide, on either side of which the terminals of the palisade turned inwards. The ground immediately inside the entrance was deeply hollowed by traffic, a fact which, when taken in conjunction with the evidence of the reconstruction of the palisade, indicates that the occupation of the homested was note purely transitory.

The interior contained two timber houses, traces of which can still be seen on the surface of the ground in the form of shallow penannular ditches measuring 28' in internal diameter. Excavation of the northernmost house showed that, inside the ditch and concentric with it there was a ring of 10 post holes; there was also a central post-hole, with another close beside it. The entrance was on the NW, the gap in the ditch being matched by a gap 8' wide between two of the post-holes. An elongated fire-pit lay SE of the centre of the floor, and four other post-holes occurred in the SW quadrant.

A third house, similar in surface appearance to the others, lies 40 yds N of the homestead.

The finds from the excavation - a flint flake and two pebbles, their ends worn into facets by grinding, were donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) in 1962.

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1959; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1965 (Donations).

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions