Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Broughton Place

Country House (20th Century), House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Broughton Place

Classification Country House (20th Century), House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Little Hope; Broughton House

Canmore ID 49860

Site Number NT13NW 15

NGR NT 11691 37236

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49860

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Sir Basil Spence

Building Notes

Rowand Anderson, Paul and Partners were commissioned by Professor and Mrs Elliott to build a house in the Scottish tradition. The Peeblesshire location chosen was on the site of an earlier house belonging to Murray of Broughton, chosen by Mrs Elliot because of its historical significance; Murray of Broughton had been the secretary to Prince Charles Edward Stuart during the 1745 rebellion.

The practice submitted plans to the clients in September 1935 and won the competition to carry out the commission in November. Work began on site in August 1936 and was completed by the summer of 1938. Spence, a partner in the firm, worked closely with Mrs Elliot who wanted a romantic house built in the manner of Robert Lorimer's baronial revival houses.

Spence originally specified stone for the design but due to cost constraints it was built in brick and then harled to look like stone with stone itself only being used for details. The roof is made from timber covered in slate. The interior is treated in the spirit of the exterior with wood panelling and decorative plaster ceilings. The sculptor Hew Lorimer was commissioned to create a pair of relief panels and a pair of lion gateposts.

The house was later converted into flats with an art gallery on the ground floor.

Archive Details and Archive Summary

The Sir Basil Spence Archive contains two manuscript folders, 53 photographs and 27 drawings. The manuscript material includes a newscutting, which describes the gardens, and a sales brochure from the 1970s. The photographs include a series of interior and exterior images of the house by the Edinburgh photographer, Francis Caird Inglis. The drawings include plans, sections and elevations of alternative schemes, which were presented to Mrs Elliot.

The Spence Glover and Ferguson Collection, includes six photographs of Broughton Place and, the Ian G Lindsay Collection holds 11 drawings relating to the project. Both collections are held at RCAHMS.

This text was written as one of the outputs of the Sir Basil Spence Archive Project, supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, 2005-08.

Archaeology Notes

NT13NW 15 11691 37236

(NT 1169 3722) Broughton House (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map, (Peeblesshire), 2nd ed., (1911).

Nothing now remains of Broughton House, formerly called Little Hope. Some small cottages in the area are said to have been outhouses (Name Book 1857). Its site is now occupied by the present mansion of

Broughton Place.

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1958.

Broughton House, once the residence of Secretary Murray, was burnt in 1773.

W Grant 1948.

Broughton Place, built in 1937, stands on the site of Broughton House.

Visited by OS(EGC) 8 June 1964.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Owner: Professor Elliot.

Architect: Basil Spence, 1938.

NT13NW 15.01 11564 37325 Stable Block

NT13NW 15.02 11747 37247 Dovecot

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions