Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Limekilns, 8 Academy Square, The King's Cellar

Masonic Hall (20th Century), School (18th Century), Warehouse (16th Century)

Site Name Limekilns, 8 Academy Square, The King's Cellar

Classification Masonic Hall (20th Century), School (18th Century), Warehouse (16th Century)

Canmore ID 49483

Site Number NT08SE 2

NGR NT 07629 83443

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49483

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08SE 2 0763 8344.

(NT 0763 8344) The King's Cellar (NR)

OS 1:10,000 ma, (1975)

The King's Cellar, built during the reign of James V (1513-42) consists of the two lower floors of a warehouse, vaulted, and measuring 63'9" x 24'3". A pediment (not in situ) is dated 1581. It was in use as a school in the 18th century; restored and a forestair added in 1911. It is now in use as a Masonic Lodge.

A Reid 1902; RCAHMS 1933; HBD No. 2173.

"The King's Cellar", a plain unimpressive building, now has a modern slated roof and all the window features have been restored.

Visited by OS (J L D) 27 March 1961.

Architecture Notes

F W Deas 1911 (restoration)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions