Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ochiltree Castle And Boundary Wall

Farmhouse (Period Unassigned), Lairds House (Period Unassigned), Wall (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Ochiltree Castle And Boundary Wall

Classification Farmhouse (Period Unassigned), Lairds House (Period Unassigned), Wall (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Ochiltree Place; Castlegate

Canmore ID 49298

Site Number NT07SW 1

NGR NT 03264 74760

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49298

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Linlithgow
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Ochiltree, from 16th century

Once-handsome, fourth rank Renaissance château, extended, truncated, its turrets spliced to the roof and shorn of its harl. As in Midhope, its ashlar turrets or gazebos should have been set off against harling. The proportion of its main chamber is 1:2 - a proportion of which Sir James Hamilton of Finnart was particularly fond (he had these lands 1526-40 following the forfeiture of Stirling of Keir). Two great chambers above each other, above a kitchen and cellar floor; and probably entered by the round staircase in the corner. The château was enhanced by an inner court, decorative dormer windows, a new internal stair and an outstanding (if heavy) ashlar porch, surmounted by two finialed pediments, monogrammed SAS and DGS for Sir Archibald Stirling of Keir and his wife Dame Grizel Stirling, probably 1610. Sensitive conservation work by Pollock Hammond Partnership.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NT07SW 1 03264 74760.

NT07SW 1.01 NT 03265 74760 Ochiltree Place (NAT) or Ochiltree Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1970)

Ochiltree Castle or Place, now a farmhouse, is a very fine example of a late 16th century (SDD List 1964) early 17th century laird's house. It is of L-plan, standing three storeys and an attic high. A later 17th century addition has been erected against the N gable of the wing. The present entrance, in the W wall, not original, is probably a 17th century alteration. The original entrance was in the re-entrant angle. The 1st and 2nd floors have been much altered internally, and the slated roof formerly had pedimented dormers dated 1610.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1924; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887; N Tranter 1962

The castle, in good condition, is as described and planned.

Visited by OS (JLD) 30 December 1952 and (DWR) 19 March 1974

Activities

Watching Brief (1 February 2016 - 10 February 2016)

AOC Archaeology Group was commissioned by Roseberry Estate Partnership to monitor ground breaking works at Ochiltree Place Farm, Linlithgow, West Lothian as part of planning consent for new farm sheds. The site is located beside Ochiltree Castle, where the location of an apparent chapel is unknown. The watching brief consisted of a large area strip and subsequent excavation of foundation pits. This revealed a heavy clay loam topsoil over natural boulder clay. No significant archaeological finds or features were uncovered.

Information from AOC Archaeology Group

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions