Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Esha Ness, Eshaness Lighthouse

Lighthouse (20th Century)

Site Name Esha Ness, Eshaness Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (20th Century)

Canmore ID 490

Site Number HU27NW 14

NGR HU 20580 78451

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/490

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Northmavine
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Archaeology Notes

HU27NW 14.00 20580 78451

Eshaness Lighthouse [NAT]

OS 1:1000 map, 1973.

HU27NW 14.01 HU 20595 78442 Lighthouse Keeper's House and Sundial

(Location cited as HU 206 785). Esha Ness Lighthouse, established 1929 by engineer D Alan Stevenson. A square-section tower tapering with an octagonal lantern and rising from a block of single-storey flat-roofed houses and ancillary buildings. Now unmanned.

J R Hume 1977.

This shore lighthouse marks the Western extremity of the Esha Ness or Eshaness peninsula [name centred HU 22 79] on the exposed W (Atlantic) coast of Shetland. The 37ft [11.3m]-high tower stands on a cliff 200ft [60m] high; the Ve Skerries [name: HU 10 68] lie offshore. It is historically significant as being the last lighthouse to be built by a member of the Stevenson family.

A temporary light of sufficient power to give warning of the Ve Skerries (8.5 miles offshore) was erected on the Eshaness peninsula in 1915. It took the form of an iron tower which housed a lantern and an acetylene generating plant, and was taken down after the First World War.

The present (permanent) lighthouse was built in 1929 by D A Stevenson, and, unsually, has a house for only a single keeper. In 1974, the power of the lantern was increased to 46,000cp, the lighthouse was automated, and the house sold into private residential use.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 28 March 2008.

R W Munro 1979; K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986; S Krauskopf 2001; S Krauskopf 2003.

Activities

Construction (1929)

Light established in 1929.

K Allardyce 1998

Modification (1974)

Light automated in 1974.

K Allardyce 1998

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions