Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Craig

Fort (Period Unassigned), Quarry (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Castle Craig

Classification Fort (Period Unassigned), Quarry (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Tillicoultry

Canmore ID 48294

Site Number NS99NW 5

NGR NS 9116 9769

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48294

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Clackmannan
  • Parish Tillicoultry (Clackmannanshire)
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Clackmannan
  • Former County Clackmannanshire

Archaeology Notes

NS99NW 5 9116 9769.

(NS 9118 9768) Fort (NR) (Site of)

OS 25"map, (1961)

Before its destruction by quarrying (Cruden 1964) Castle Craig fort consisted of a deep rock-cut ditch with a stone wall along the inner tip and the remains of a stony rampart on the outer, cutting off an area of the tip of the promontory measuring 300' in width by at least 200', and probably originally more in length. The interior contains an exactly circular enclosure measuring 82' in diameter within the remains of a very well built stone wall 12' thick. Whether or not the two structures are contemporary cannot be decided from the surface remains which do not coincide at any point, but the probability is that the circular enclosure is an intruder, and may be of post-Roman date.

Maclagan (1875) notes 3 concentric circular walls, 35' apart, the central circle 80' in diameter, and adds that the stones have nearly all been used to build sheepfolds, the square walls of which may be traced within the circular walls.

C Maclagan 1875; RCAHMS 1933; R W Feachem 1963; S Cruden 1964.

NS 9116 9769: This fort or dun has been greatly destroyed. The course of the wall, some 3 - 4m broad on the NW, can be traced all round the top of the spur on which the site lies. The interior is fairly level except for a slight rise on the S side, and is covered with stone debris. Where the inner face of the wall is visible, it can be seen that it was constructed with large undressed stones. About 10.0m beyond the N face of the wall is the ditch partly artificially cut through rock. At this point, on top of the scarp, is the faint course of a wall some 0.5m wide which is probably a remnant of the later sheepfold. An active quarry is encroaching on the SE of the site.

Visited by OS (J L D) 12 June 1953.

This fort has been totally destroyed by quarrying.

Visited by OS (J P) 11 December 1973.

Activities

Field Visit (16 June 1952)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions