Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Bordie Farm, Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Bordie Farm, Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Bordie Castle

Canmore ID 48058

Site Number NS98NE 5

NGR NS 95556 86853

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Culross
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NS98NE 5.00 95556 86853

NS98NE 5.01 NS 95570 86757 Dovecot

NS98NE 5.02 NS 95583 86845 Byre

Among the farm buildings at Bordie are the remains of an L-shaped, 17th century house which was three storeys and an attic high. The part still standing was once a wing and part of the main block still remains to the W. East of the ruin is a barn (NS93NE 5.02) the fabric of which dates from the 17th century.

RCAHMS 1933, visited March 1928.

Locally called Bordie Castle, the remains, in poor condition, have been incorporated in the structure of the surrounding modern buildings. The blackened appearance of some of the stones gives the impression that it was burnt at some time; some windows and a fire-place may still be seen.

Visited by OS July 1953.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions