Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Westfield Farm, Refuge Stone

Sanctuary Marker (Period Unassigned), Structure (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Westfield Farm, Refuge Stone

Classification Sanctuary Marker (Period Unassigned), Structure (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Torphichen Preceptory, Sanctuary Stone At Westfield Farm

Canmore ID 48010

Site Number NS97SW 2

NGR NS 9437 7211

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Torphichen
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NS97SW 2 9437 7211

See also NS97SE 12, NS97SE 22, NS97SE 25, NS97SE 30.

For Torphichen Preceptory (NS 96893 72516) and associated monuments, see NS97SE 7.

(NS 9437 7211) Refuge Stone (NR)

OS 6" map (1970)

This stone is an undressed sandstone boulder, without any traces of ornament or design, and it does not appear to have been packed at the base. It has fallen, and is 5'4" long by 1'10" broad. The ONB notes that the Maltese cross formerly engraved on it was effaced. This is one of the stones marking the area of the sanctuary associated with Torphichen Preceptory.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1926; Name Book 1856

This stone, as described, is situated on a small hillock and lies on its side in a cavity, surrounded by vegetation. No inscriptions or symbols are visible.

Visited by OS (JLD) 8 December 1951

This stone has disappeared, though local people say that it was there seven or eight years ago (c.1962). It may have fallen into one of a number of Home Guard trenches dug on the hillock, and will have to be dug for.

Information from Mrs N Tomter (West Lothian Hist Soc) letter, 8 December 1951.

This stone could not be located.

Visited by OS (JP) 12 August 1974.

NS 9437 7211 (centre) Survey was undertaken of 3.5ha of land at the site of one of the Refuge Stones (NMRS NS97SW 2) associated with Torphichen Preceptory, in advance of a proposed re-Scheduling of the site. The survey area is located immediately to the E of Westfield paper mill. The stone itself has been removed for conservation; its site was partially excavated by GUARD in January 1998.

The stone appears to have been erected in or over an old field bank, the remains of which were traced to the N and S of the site of the recent excavation. Slight traces of further banks, lying perpendicular to the field bank, were also traced, the stone having possibly stood at their junction. A small mound and two amorphous hollows, possibly sand-quarry pits, were identified to the S of the excavated area. The extent of the adjacent spoil-heaps associated with the nearby paper mill was also determined.

A full report has been lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsor: Historic Scotland

C Lowe 1998

NS 943 721 A small excavation was carried out in advance of the reinstatement of a fallen standing stone known as the Refuge Stone (thought to be associated with Torphichen Preceptory). It now appears that the stone may be part of a much larger, possibly prehistoric, site. The 2 x 2m trench uncovered a stone-built structure, greater than the size of the trench. As the structure appeared to be too large to excavate and define within the restraints of the contract, the trench was immediately backfilled once recording was completed.

Sponsor: West Lothian Council.

I Cullen and A Maule 1998

NS 9437 7211 A report of the survey as stated above has been published. No recommendation was given in the report for further investigation.

Sponsor: Historic Scotland

NMRS MS/899/89 (Headland Archaeology Ltd. May 28th 1998)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions