Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cockleroy

Fort (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cockleroy

Classification Fort (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 48000

Site Number NS97SE 9

NGR NS 98940 74380

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48000

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Linlithgow
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NS97SE 9 98940 74380

(NS 9894 7438) Fort (NR)

OS 6" map (1968)

The fort, or "walled enclosure" (R W Feachem 1965) on the summit of Cockleroy, a most conspicuous, rugged and precipitous hill, consists of a heavy, ruinous stone wall enclosing an area 410' in length by 200' wide. The entrance is in the SE. The NW end of the fort is further protected by an outer wall.

The similarity of this structure to the one on Bowden Hill, 3/4 mile W (NS97SE 1) is striking.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1926; R W Feachem 1963.

This fort is as described.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (JLD) 5 December 1952 and (JP) 13 August 1974.

Within the interior of the fort there are at least four ring-ditch houses; three are situated close to the rear of the wall on the NE, and the fourth is on the S.

Visited by RCAHMS (JBS), 12 August 1985.

Activities

Field Visit (8 November 1952)

Fort, Cockleroy (Inv. No. 358)

Both the main rampart and the horn-work are faced on both sides with stones but are only 6 ft to 7 ft in thickness: the core in each case appears to have been of earth and stone. There are no signs of ditches, or of internal structures.

Visited by RCAHMS (KAS) 8 November 1952

Note (4 September 2014 - 16 August 2016)

This fort is situated on the top of Cocleroy, which is girt with rocky scarps along its W flank, and elsewhere with steep slopes. Oval on plan, the fort measures 125m from NW to SE by 60m transversely (0.54ha) within a wall about 2.1m in thickness, and there is a second concentric wall protecting the NW end; numerous facing-stones can be seen along the lines of both. The entrance is on the ESE and at least four ring-ditch houses can be seen within the interior, three at the rear of the rampart on the NE and the fourth on the S.

Information from An Atlas of Hillforts of Great Britain and Ireland – 16 August 2016. Atlas of Hillforts SC1845

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions