Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bathgate, Marjoribanks Street, Bathgate Academy

College (Period Unassigned), School (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Bathgate, Marjoribanks Street, Bathgate Academy

Classification College (Period Unassigned), School (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) West Lothian College; Academy Place

Canmore ID 47759

Site Number NS96NE 20

NGR NS 97947 68697

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47759

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Bathgate
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Marjoribanks Street, named after Alexander Marjoribanks of Balbardie, who became Bathgate's first Provost after the 1824 Act. As normal, the quality in Bathgate moved uphill for better views and absence of smoke. The higher, the better; some excellent Victorian villas of all shapes and sizes. Wellpark, c.1860, the home of the Wolfes (owners of a well-known shovel factory), coursed stone with swelling two-storey semicircular bay in ashlar. Fine plasterwork within.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE:

'Bathgate Academy: A large handsome structure at the E of Bathgate. It was begun in 1831 and opened in 1833. The style of architecture is Grecian and the building consists of a centre and two wings connected by a collonade. From the centre front rises a small tower, in which there is a clock, and surmounted by an open belfry. There is a broad flight of steps rising to the entrance terminating on a massive stone basement or platform forming a promenade for the teachers and commading a view of the whole playgorund. It was endowed by a native of the town, John Newlands who died in Jamaica in 1799. It is under the direction of trustees, the parish minister being the principal. There are four teachers in constant attendance and besides a good English education, Latin, Greek, French and German are taught, together with music, drawing etc. The Academy is free to all parishioners and non-parishioners are admitted by paying 5s to 7s 6d per quarter. The average attendance male and female is about 500 and the present rector is the Rev. A Inglis.'

Name Book (Linlithgowshire), 1856

Built 1831-3.

SDD List 1963.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: R & R Dickson 1833

W. H. Playfair 1824 (design)

Drawings in Edinburgh University Library

Thomas Brown 1824 (design)

Plans:

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh additions

Bin 4, Bag 2 Peddie & Walkington Browne 1907

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Plans:

Edinburgh University Library. Playfair Collection 1824 - 7 sheets (p.10)

Edinburgh University Library: 7 working drawings June 1824 Playfair Coll.

Activities

Modification (2002)

Converted to housing

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions