Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Manor Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Manor Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 47252

Site Number NS89SW 2

NGR NS 82713 94907

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47252

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Logie (Stirling)
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS89SW 2 82713 94907

(NS 8271 9490) Manor Castle (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map (1967)

The last vestiges of Manor Castle can be seen some 70 yds N of the level crossing at Manor Powis colliery, but they are now too indistinct for measurement. From a sketch made in 1850, when the building was still entire, and some recorded details (J S Fleming 1902) it appears that

the house consisted of a main block lying E-W and measuring 50' x 18', with a short wing projecting through the middle of the N side. The entrance was in the W wall of the wing, and had above it a heraldic panel, dated 1572, which is now preserved at 14 Abercromby Place, Stirling.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1952 and 1953

At the published site is an amorphous mound of turf-covered rubble.

Visited by OS (JP) 11 December 1973

NS 827 949 Very little now remains of Manor Castle. It was built in 1572, and an illustration of 1850 shows it as comprising a main block lying E and W with a short wing projecting from the middle of the N side.

RCAHMS 1979, visited Auqust 1978

J S Fleming 1902; RCAHMS 1963

The remains of the house are located c 70 yards north of the level crossing, east of Manor Neuk Farm. Turf and rubble are all that is visible. The general measurements of the area are: 22m east/west and 12m north/south. Foundation lines are still visible through the turf. A section of wall which may be associated with the site, is visible in the bank of a burn which flows next to the site. This section of wall measures 5m by 2m. There is no sign of NS89SW 14 (an earthwork) which was supposedly located nearby.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 1996

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions