Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cambus, Iron Bridge

Footbridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cambus, Iron Bridge

Classification Footbridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cambus, Iron Footbridge; Cambus Distillery, Cast Iron Bridge; Devon Place; River Devon

Canmore ID 47215

Site Number NS89SE 52

NGR NS 85325 94078

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47215

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Clackmannan
  • Parish Alloa
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Clackmannan
  • Former County Clackmannanshire

Archaeology Notes

NS89SE 52 85325 94078

See also NS89SE 67.

(Listed with Cambus Distillery [NS89SE 67]: location cited as NS 853 940). An early 19th-century cast iron arch bridge over the River Devon, recently restored.

J R Hume 1976.

(Location cited as NS 853 940). Cambus: early 19th century cast[iron bridge; recently restored and still in use for vehicular traffic.

RCAHMS 1978.

NMRS, CLR 3/1.

This short footbridge crosses the River Devon about 630m NE of its debouchement into the River Forth, and to the SW of Cambus Distllery (NS89SE 67). It is depicted, but not noted, on the 1991 edition of the OS 1:10,000 map.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 2 June 2006.

Activities

Construction (1825 - 1840)

Possibly cast and erected by Carron iron Company. Exact construction date unknown.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

This bridge, for its time, is a cast-iron segmental arch structure of 65 ft span and 7 ft rise erected across the

Devon near its confluence with the Forth, probably between 1825 and 1840. Local opinion favours the earlier

date and that the bridge was cast and erected by the Carron Company. Its 12 ft wide timber deck is supported

on four ribs thought to be of local design. Each rib is composed of five elements – three 2 ft deep members buttjointed on transverse diaphragms at third points and two tapered members at the ends on top of the arch-rings.

The bridge, which originally carried horse-drawn traffic, was conserved ca.1975 under the direction of Ronald

Noble, consulting engineer, Alloa, as part of a riverside walkway project.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions