Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tullibody, Haer Stane

Cross (Period Unassigned), Socketed Stone (Period Unassigned), Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)(Possible), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Tullibody, Haer Stane

Classification Cross (Period Unassigned), Socketed Stone (Period Unassigned), Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)(Possible), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Baingle Brae Villa; Haer Stone; Cross

Canmore ID 47212

Site Number NS89SE 5

NGR NS 8565 9475

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Clackmannan
  • Parish Alloa
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Clackmannan
  • Former County Clackmannanshire

Archaeology Notes

NS89SE 5 8565 9475.

(Area: NS 857 949) The Haer Stane of Tullibody is a shapeless mass of basalt about 8ft high and 30ft round the base which stands on the declivity in front of Baingle Brae Villa. Within the memory of persons living in 1874, it was surrounded by a great number of rough upright stones, about 2 to 3ft high, methodically arranged. North-east of the stone, but within the enclosure, was an old well.

Five or six hundred yards NW from the Haer Stane, the site of the "stannin' stane", demolished c.1824, was still pointed out in 1874.

J Crawford 1874; A L Drummond 1937

NS 8565 9475. Inserted into the top of this large erratic boulder, is a modern war memorial stone. Encircling the boulder are approximately 60 small loose stones giving a diameter of about 10.0m. These stones are not in situ due to the construction of a pond, precluding positive identification of a stone circle.

No further information was found regarding the 'stannin' stane'.

Visited by OS (DWR) 8 February 1973.


Field Visit (August 1977)

The large boulder that forms the base of the War memorial in the public park is all that survives of what may have been a stone circle; the stone is about 3 m in diameter and 2 m in height, and is said to have been surrounded, until the middle of the 19th century, by 'a great number of rough upright stones, methodically arranged, and in general about two or three feet in height.

RCAHMS 1978, visited August 1977.

Sources: Crawford 1874, 23-4; Drummond 1937, 118.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions