Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Alloa, Glasshouse Loan, Alloa Glass Works

Glass Works (19th Century), Glass Works (18th Century)

Site Name Alloa, Glasshouse Loan, Alloa Glass Works

Classification Glass Works (19th Century), Glass Works (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Alloa, Glass Cone; Alloa Glassworks

Canmore ID 47210

Site Number NS89SE 49

NGR NS 88013 92405

NGR Description Centred on NS 88013 92405

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47210

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Clackmannan
  • Parish Alloa
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Clackmannan
  • Former County Clackmannanshire

Archaeology Notes

NS89SE 49.00 Centred on NS 88013 92405

NS89SE 49.01 88003 92412 glass cone

Works [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1991.

(Location cited as NS 881 923). Alloa Glassworks, founded c. 1750. Most of the buildings and plant here are modern, but one of the two glass cones (c. 1825) survives, the last in Scotland. It has a conical brick structure on a stone base, and houses a modern glass furnace.

J R Hume 1976.

The Glass Works is situated on Craigward Street, Alloa beside the river Forth. The business is now run under the name United Glass. The whole complex covers an area of c 500m east/west and c 150m north/south.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 24 February 1996.

Activities

Field Visit (24 February 1996)

The Glass Works is situated on Craigward Street, Alloa beside the river Forth. The business is now run under the name United Glass. The whole complex covers an area of c 500m east/west and c 150m north/south.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 24 February 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions