Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Stenhousemuir, Stenhouse

House (17th Century), Sundial (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Stenhousemuir, Stenhouse

Classification House (17th Century), Sundial (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Stenhouse Castle

Canmore ID 46930

Site Number NS88SE 31

NGR NS 87949 82913

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46930

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Larbert
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Architecture Notes

NS88SE 31 87949 82913

(NS 87949 82913) Stenhouse, originally a tower-house and later enlarged, is no longer in use as a mansion, but has been reconditioned for a number of individual tenants. The tower-house was built in 1622 by William Bruce of Stenhouse; it still stands in good preservation and in substantially its original form despite periodic alterations. Of these, the most important was carried out in, or soon after, 1836, as architect's plans of that date show the large Classical and turreted extension still existing on the W side of the house, and also offices on the E side. That the latter were built and removed is suggested by a cement raggle on the E face of the tower. The house, which is L-shaped on plan contains 4 storeys and an attic.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1955

Stenhouse demolished c. 1960's. Its site now lies in the middle of a housing estate.

Visited by OS (BS) 7 February 1974

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: William Burn 1836 (Additions)

Original house 1622

The 'Stenhouse Sundial', illustrated opposite page 26 in 'Lands and Lairds of Larbert and Dunipace Parishes' by John C Gibson, 1908, later stood in the garden of Carronvale, (NS88SE 113). This is recorded in 'Sundials of Six Scottish Counties near Glasgow' by W B Stevenson, page 255, and the photograph in MS 5741/5/29 shows it in the latter location. The globe from the top was reported in 1989 to be in the possession of the Falkirk Local History Society, but the whereabouts of the rest of the sundial is currently unknown. (Anne Cassells, 24 September 2009).

Activities

Photographic Survey (July 1960)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in July 1960.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions