Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Carluke, Station Road, Kirkton House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Carluke, Station Road, Kirkton House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 46710

Site Number NS85SW 6

NGR NS 8423 5027

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46710

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Carluke
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS85SW 6 8423 5027

(NS 8423 5027) Kirkton (NR)

OS 6" map (1967).

NMRS REFERENCE:

Trustees of Col. James S. Hamilton (Wm. B. Thomson & McLean, Clydesdale Bank, Wishaw.)

Demolished - January 1959. The railings, originally from Lanark Jail, were also removed.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Kirkton, anciently church lands belonging to Kelso Abbey, was erected into a barony in 1662. The older part of Kirkton house is three storeys high, with a vaulted basement; the newer part is of two storeys. The E gable is dated 1618, while a stone dated 1600 has been inserted into the newest portion of the building.

NSA 1845 (J Wylie); O S Name Book 1858.

The house is still standing, in good condition but unoccupied. The date stones mentioned are visible.

Visited by OS (JFC), 8 March 1954

This house has now been demolished to make way for modern housing.

Visited by OS (BS), 8 June 1976.

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation (December 2006)

NS 8430 5025 A programme of archaeological works was undertaken during December 2006 at 41 Station Road, Carluke, in accordance with a condition placed on planning consent for a residential development. The site was in a residential area on the W side of Carluke and had contained a mid 20th-century single storey

dwelling, demolished by the time of the evaluation, set in an extensive garden. Maps from the mid 18th century onwards show the site occupied by buildings annotated ‘Kirkton’. The 1858 OS map shows Kirkton House as three amalgamated buildings set in substantial grounds, and the Name Book notes the presence of date stones of 1600 and 1618. These are likely to have been altered before being demolished between 1958 and

1969. The site may have been occupied in the medieval period, as a settlement is depicted at this location on Pont’s map of the late 16th century. Given these factors, the site was recognised as having archaeological potential by WoSAS.

Archaeological monitoring of test pitting and the grubbing out of the modern structure’s foundations revealed no archaeological finds or deposits. Trial trenching revealed sandstone foundations, as well as modern brick foundations. Given the potential significance of the sandstone foundations further machine excavation was undertaken to reveal them in plan. The earliest foundations related to a simple rectangular structure. Two later

extensions, dated by artefacts to the 19th century, were built to the rear, or S, of this original building. The foundations were disturbed in several places, and disturbance relating to redevelopment in the 20th century was evident across the site as a whole. The earliest artefact recovered from the site was redeposited and 17th-century in date. Surviving photographs suggest the earliest building would be unusual if constructed in

the 17th century and the possibility remains that it was a medieval structure, albeit much disturbed in the 20th century.

Archive to be deposited with RCAHMS. Report deposited with WoSAS SMR and RCAHMS.

Funder: Robertson Frame Ltd.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions