Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkfieldbank, Clydesholm Bridge

Road Bridge (17th Century)

Site Name Kirkfieldbank, Clydesholm Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Lanark, Kirkfieldbank Road, Old Bridge; River Clyde

Canmore ID 46603

Site Number NS84SE 4

NGR NS 86872 43918

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46603

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Lanark
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS84SE 4 86872 43918

For (successor and present) Kirkfieldbank Bridge (adjacent to NW), see NS84SE 136.

(NS 8686 4392) Clydesholm Bridge (NR) (AD 1694-99)

OS 6" map (1940-1)

Lanark Old Bridge (NR) (AD 1649-50)

OS 6" map (1913)

Clydesholm Bridge [NR]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1985.

Name: 'Lanark Old Bridge' obsolete (J Arrol, Div Road Surveyor, Lanark).

Name Book 1940

In 1696 work began on the construction of a bridge at Clydesholm which was completed in 1699. The plan was first mooted in 1649 but was abandoned.

T Reid 1913

A narrow, three-arched bridge of squared masonry spanning a deep valley. In good condition, approximately 4.0m wide, with cut-waters up- and down-stream.

Visited by OS (JFC) 11 March 1954

This bridge has been superseded by a modern bridge erected in 1959, but it is still used by pedestrians.

Visited by OS (JLD) 15 February 1962.

(Location cited as NS 869 439). Clydeshom Bridge, Kirkfieldbank, built 1694-9. A very attractive 3-span rubble bridge, with semicircular arches, and triangular cutwaters extended up to form pedestrian refuges. Now bypassed and used as a footbridge.

J R Hume 1976.

This bridge carries the former line of the A72 public road over the River Clyde to the W of Lanark (NS84SE 75). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Lanark (to the NE) and Lesmahagow (to the SW).

The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the structure; the available map evidence indicates that it extends from NS c. 86844 43891 to NS c. 86899 43946.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 24 February 2006.

Activities

Construction (1699)

17th century bridge for which evidence survives of payments for building.

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

An impressive three-span mainly rubble masonry bridge erected over the Clyde from 1696–99 with near semicircular arches of 60 ft span and triangular cutwaters extended up to form refuges. Its roadway is about 50 ft above the river. The designer and Master of Works was a Mr Lockhart of Birkenhead, Lanark. A fine example of late-17th century bridge building largely by direct labour, for which contemporary details of disbursements exist. The Master of Works received a salary of 20s per diem and in 1699 ‘fiftie merks Scottis as a gratuite for his good service at the bridge’.

Now used as a footbridge.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions