Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lanark, 38-40 Broomgate

Drill Hall (First World War)(Possible), House (20th Century), Poor House (19-20th Century), School (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Lanark, 38-40 Broomgate

Classification Drill Hall (First World War)(Possible), House (20th Century), Poor House (19-20th Century), School (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Poor House; Workhouse

Canmore ID 46575

Site Number NS84SE 14

NGR NS 88032 43601

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46575

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Lanark
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (25 October 2013)

Osborne (2006) records the presence of a drill hall at 40 Broomgate, although his references suggest that it may have been in use after the First World War. The hall comprised an 18th and a 17th century house, both of which are now dwellings.

In 1914 a drill hall in Lanark was the HQ and drill for "B" Squadron of the Lanarkshire Yeomanry, as well as drill station for "B" Company, 8th battalion, Highland Light Infantry. Osborne refers to a drill hall in Mousebank Lane, but that street did not exist by the time of the 1947 4th epoch map.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 25 October 2013.

Architecture Notes

NS84SE 14 88032 43601

(NS 8803 4360) "Grammar School - Mr Harkness" (J Wood 1825). There has been a school in Lanark since a period prior to 1283; it is believed to have been sited in the Franciscan Monastery, tradition says on the site of the present dining room of the Clydesdale Hotel (H Davidson 1899). The Broomgate - in this street is the Grammar School (W Davidson 1828). Nine bursaries were endowed in 1648 by Mr John Carmichael, commissary of Lanark, at the Grammar School (NSA 1845 (W Menzies)).

The supposed site of the Grammar School is occupied by modern buildings.

Visited by OS (JFC) 31 March 1955

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions