Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tower Of Hallbar

Dovecot (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Tower Of Hallbar

Classification Dovecot (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Hallbar Tower, Barmkin; Braidwood Tower

Canmore ID 46544

Site Number NS84NW 11

NGR NS 83930 47130

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46544

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Carluke
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS84NW 11 83930 47130

(NS 83934713) Tower of Hallbar (NR)

OS 6" map (1913)

Hallbar Tower appears to date from the 16th century, though a much higher antiquity is often claimed for it. It is rubble-built, and practically square on plan, rising four storeys to the parapet, with a garret chamber above.

The tower though it has stood unoccupied for years, is complete and in a good state of preservation. It was the fortalice of the Barony of Braidwood in 1581.

N G Tranter 1935

The Tower of Hallbar is correctly described by Tranter. It is in good condition, though unoccupied.

Visited by OS (AC) 16 June 1959

Scheduled as Hallbar Tower, Barmkin.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 8 December 2000.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Mitchell Library: 'Old Country House' J. Maclehose - 1 photo of sundial.

The doocot whose flightholes are in the N gable is described in Tranter, N G (1935) page 95.

Information from Anne Cassells, 30 August 2007.

Activities

Excavation (29 March 1999 - 30 April 1999)

NS 8393 4713 Excavation, watching brief and photographic survey in the cellar and around the building perimeter of a Scheduled medieval tower house exposed the tower foundations and both medieval and late 19th-century working levels and features. The watching brief exposed a nearby stone culvert with a possible medieval base. The photographic survey recorded a 19th-century fireplace set into an earlier space plus the garret and roof tiling of the tower. (GUARD 465).

A full report has been deposited with the NMRS.

Sponsor: Vivat Trust.

K Speller 1999.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions