Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Drip Bridge, Old Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Drip Bridge, Old Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) River Forth

Canmore ID 46040

Site Number NS79NE 58

NGR NS 77016 95615

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46040

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish St Ninians
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS79NE 58 77010 95615

For (successor and present) Drip Bridge (adjacent to N), see NS79NE 75.

For (associated) Toll House (at W end), see NS79NE 23.

Built by public subscription, perhaps before 1745. Five arches, 206' long.

SDD List

(Location cited as NS 770 956). Old Drip Bridge, early 18th century. A handsome 5-span rubble bridge, with segmental arches increasing in size to the centre. There are triangular cutwaters extended up to form semi-hexagonal pedestrian refuges.

J R Hume 1976.

This bridge carries the former line of the A84 (T) public road over the River Forth which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Kincardine (Stirling) to the W and St Ninians to the E.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 2 October 1997.

(Former Index no. 2797). Descheduled.

Information from Historic Scotland, Certificate of Exclusion from Schedule dated 17 December 2010.

Old Bridge [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, January 2011.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions