Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Badenheath Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Badenheath Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 45927

Site Number NS77SW 2

NGR NS 7129 7235

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45927

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Kirkintilloch (Strathkelvin)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Strathkelvin
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS77SW 2 7129 7235.

(NS 7129 7235) Tower (NR) (In ruins)

OS 6" map (1922)

Tower (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map (1968)

Badenheath Tower, once a strength of the Boyds, Earls of Kilmarnock (Name Book 1859) was a large fortress or peel surrounded by a moat. It is now ruinous.

T Watson 1894

Only the S half of this oblong keep remains, standing to a maximum height of 40ft (four storeys), while the N wall has been reduced to its foundations. It measures 42ft by 30ft 6ins over the walls, which are 6 to 7ft thick. It is probably of late 15th century date.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887

This tower was demolished in 1953 (owner, Badenheath Farm) and no traces of it now remain.

Visited by OS (JLD) 12 February 1954

Previous field report confirmed.

RCAHMS 1982, visited 1977

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions