Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Colzium Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Colzium Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Kilsyth

Canmore ID 45908

Site Number NS77NW 4

NGR NS 7288 7877

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Kilsyth (North Lanarkshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumbernauld And Kilsyth
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS77NW 4 7288 7877.

(NS 7288 7877) Colzium Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1968)

Only a small fragment of Colzium Castle now survives, forming the NE part of the garden wall to the N of Colzium House. What has been the W side-wall of the building still exists for a length of 47 1/2ft and stands 16ft high. Springing courses in situ indicate that the basement was originally vaulted.

The tower of Colzium was a residence of the Livingstones of Kilsyth, who owned the property in the 17th century. A stone dated 1575 is said to have been taken from the ruins, and the existing fragment could well be the remains of a building of this period. It appears to have been demolished in 1703.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1953

All that remains is a fragment of the W wall of the Castle, of rough-dressed stone, 14.5m in length, 1.0m thick, and standing to a height of some 3.0m. It now forms the E gable-end of modern outbuildings. In it can be seen the remains of a walled-up entrance, an arched cavity or recess, and the springing of a vaulted roof.

Visited by OS (JP) 17 January 1974

Though little now remains of this building, excavation has revealed the plan of a late medieval L-plan tower house to which a hall block was subsequently added.

RCAHMS 1982, visited 1982


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions