Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lochend Loch

Crannog (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lochend Loch

Classification Crannog (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Coatbridge; Lochend Crannog; Drumpellier Public Park

Canmore ID 45769

Site Number NS76NW 2

NGR NS 7065 6618

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45769

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Old Monkland (Monklands)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Monklands
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS76NW 2 7065 6618.

(NS 7065 6618) Crannog (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map (1967)

Operations carried out in 1931-2 to increase the depth of Lochend Loch revealed the presence of a crannog, situated about 64m from the NE shore. Depending on the present water level, the site is sometimes still visible as a mound of stones.

As disclosed by the draining of the loch, the mound measured about 37m from E to W by 28m transversely, and the removal of the peat mud from its landward (E) side exposed the stumps of more than eighty wooden piles disposed at the outer edge of an artificial platform, up to 1.5m thick, built of layers of timbers laid transversely to one another and consolidated by stones and an infilling of brushwood and clay. Within the very limited area that was examined in the centre of the mound, evidence was found to show that the foundation had supported two successive floors, the earlier consisting of carefully-laid timbers, some of which had been trimmed to shape, laid across large tree-trunks spaced at intervals of between 0.9m and 1.5m. The later floor, about 0.6m above the level of the earlier, was constructed of beams, cut from oak and other hardwoods to about the size of railway sleepers. The ends of one of these beams had been deliberately forked, and within the arms of each fork the vertical pile that pinned it to the substructure was still in position; in addition four square mortise-holes had been let into its upper surface to hold upright posts. Close to the outer edge of the later floor on the SW a wooden sole-plate, measuring 0.61m by 0.28m, was discovered; it was recessed in the centre for an upright and securely held in position by a substantial peg at each end. Immediately behind the sole-plate there was an area of stone paving, which yielded most of the relics recovered from the site.

Lack of time prevented further investigation, but the presence of two distinct floor levels indicated that the foundation had carried a house, probably circular on plan, with its wall supported by a framework of wooden posts. The roof may have been thatched with heather, and the house had evidently been destroyed by fire on more than one occasion. Human bones, belonging to two individuals, were found at the N margin of the foundation platform. The relics include many fragments of hand-made, undecorated pottery vessels, having plain rims and flat bases; animal bones, mainly of ox; three small perforated lignite discs; half of a jet bracelet of D-section; two flat pieces of oak (? stool-seats) having triple perforations; two upper quern stones of schist, each about 0.45m in diameter and 0.08m thick with a central funnel-hole; and a large number of hazel-nut shells. Six sherds of pottery, some hazel-nut shells and animal bones are preserved in Airdrie Public Library, and fragments of crucibles are in Glasgow Art Gallery and Museum.

J Monteith and J R Robb 1937; RCAHMS 1978, visited 1972.

The mound of stones noted by the RCAHMS at the site were seen in 1952, though no features of the crannog could be distinguished.

Visited by OS (JLD) 7 October 1952

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions