Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Cawder House

Club (Period Unassigned), Hospital (First World War), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Cawder House

Classification Club (Period Unassigned), Hospital (First World War), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Cadder House; Castle Of Cadder; Cawder House Auxiliary Hospital; Cawder Golf Club

Canmore ID 45241

Site Number NS67SW 10

NGR NS 60583 72691

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Cadder (Strathkelvin-du)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Strathkelvin
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS67SW 10.00 60583 72691

NS67SW 10.01 605 727 Garden; Sundial

NS67SW 10.02 6057 7270 Coin Hoard

NS67SW 10.03 60780 72584 Dovecot

In 1814 (OPS 1851), August 1815 (PSAS 1863), when levelling the lawn in front of Cadder House (now Cawder House, at NS 6057 7270) the workmen discovered part of the foundations of an old tower - the Castle of Cadder.

Near the ruins was found a vessel containing over 350 gold coins, some inscribed "Jacobus" (OPS 1851). Lindsay (1845), however, states that 118 Lions and 23 other gold coins of James I and II were found. Specimens from the hoard, which was deposited after 1438, are in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS), British Museum, Aberdeen, Glasgow, and St Andrews Universities; 12 coins were retained by the landowner, James Stirling of Keir, and 103 coins were ordered to be sold.

Orig Paroch Scot 1851; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1863; Archaeol Scot 1890;

J Lindsay 1845; J D A Thompson 1956.

There is no trace of the tower.

No further information.

Visited by OS (J P) 15 January 1974.

Listed. No further information.

RCAHMS 1982.

Architecture Notes

Architect: David Hamilton 1817 additions (and a new agent's house)


Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions