Stoer Head Lighthouse
Site Name Stoer Head Lighthouse
Alternative Name(s) Stoerhead Lighthouse; Cluas Deas; Point Of Stoer Head, Lighthouse And Lighthouse Keeper's Dwellings; North Minch
Canmore ID 4524
Site Number NC03SW 6
NGR NC 00370 32967
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Highland
- Parish Assynt
- Former Region Highland
- Former District Sutherland
- Former County Sutherland
NC03SW 6 00370 32967
Stoerhead Lighthouse [NAT]
OS 1:10,000 map, 1971.
(Location cited as NC 003 330). Stoer Head Lighthouse, built 1870, engineers D and T Stevenson. A short circular-section tower linked at two levels to a flat-roofed two-storey block of keepers' houses.
J R Hume 1977.
This shore lighthouse guards the E (mainland) side of the northern entrance into the Minch. It was built by David and Thomas Stevenson in 1870, and became a major automatic light in 1978. The (former) keepers' house lie adjacent, and remain in short-term residential use.
Stoer Head (Point of Stoer) is at NC 022 356.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 August 2008.
R W Munro 1979; K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986; S Krauskopf 2001.