Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkintilloch, Peel Park

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Kirkintilloch, Peel Park

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) 'Peel Of Kirkintilloch'

Canmore ID 45237

Site Number NS67SE 8

NGR NS 6512 7404

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45237

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Kirkintilloch (Strathkelvin)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Strathkelvin
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS67SE 8 6512 7404.

(NS 6512 7404) Castle (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map, (1967)

In the Peel Park, Kirkintilloch, there stands a fairly well preserved example of a medieval peel with a surrounding moat, possibly dating back to the 12th century. (It was accepted by early antiquaries, with almost complete unanimity, as a Roman fort: cf NS67SE 15)

A S Robertson 1973.

The Peel of Kirkintilloch may be presumed to be identical with Kirkintilloch Castle, stronghold of the Comyns.

G Macdonald 1925.

All that remains of this castle is a rectangular motte, measuring 30m by 17m, with a broad ditch on its S and E sides. In 1732 Horsley reported that it had 'a double rampart of hewn stone, strongly cemented with lime' which was being quarried at the time of his visit.

J Horsley 1732; RCAHMS 1982.

Activities

Publication Account (2009)

In 1296 they appointed William le Fiz Glay keeper of the castle of Kirkintilloch.

Information from ‘The Scottish Burgh Survey, Historic Kilsyth: Archaeology and Development’ (2009).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions